Sunday, October 15, 2006

Well, I was a bit late getting this blog out the door!

My last blog went inactive a little while ago mostly do to schedule changes, but also because I found the blog platform inadequate for how I wanted to blog. Google seems to have proven (again) that they know how to build the best web apps around. So I'm now officially on Blogger! Yes, this site is hosted by Blogspot, I will post about how to use a different address soon. With the change, I decided to create a blog that had an environment that was more conducive to my personality so that, hopefully, I will feel like updating it more! Here is the purpose of this blog, as taken from it's description:

"A blog of a simple Christian dedicated to following his endeavors in art and music, a platform to post spiritual thoughts and articles, and occasional relay of technology related opinions and recommendations. It will likely contain many run-on sentences and exclamation points along the way! Comments are more than welcome."

So now I have broadened the focus a bit since I am not moving forward on my "Just a Leaf" project as I had wanted. The first thing I wanted to enter on this blog was a post to help you use RSS.

Many have heard of RSS but do not know what is. RSS stands for "Really Simple Syndicate". Basically, what it is good for is taking the leg work out of your daily updates. It will let you know when your favorite blogs or websites are updated so that you don't have to surf there just to find out.

My RSS feed is "http://justaleaf.blogspot.com/atom.xml"

Here's how:

For Everyone (PC or Mac) -

  1. Mozilla Thunderbird - If you receive your email directly to your computer, I highly recommend using this program if you aren't already! As great an email client as this is, it also makes a great RSS reader. So if you are the type that leaves their email up all day so you can see emails when they come in, this is perfect for you as you can also see when your favorite web places are updated! Here are exact instructions on setting up your RSS feeds for Thunderbird.

  2. Sage for FireFox - If you are a FireFox user and would prefer to get your feed updates in your browser, sort of like bookmarks that let you know when to check, you may want to give this a shot.


PC (Windows) -

If you are on Windows, you have many options for RSS. I will only recommend one for simplicity's sake:
  1. SharpReader - If you would rather watch RSS feeds in their own program, this is a easy to use and simple reader.
Mac -
  1. Vienna - Like SharpReader, this should do the trick if you want to stay away from email or browser integration.

Even if you don't use RSS, I hope you will check back often as I continue to improve this blog! Please leave feedback for me and let me know what you like so I can make this a better place.

6 comments:

Aaron said...

Way to go, Garrett. Looks great. My blog looks pretty bland all of a sudden. I guess bland blokes make bland blogs... say that five times fast.

I still can't get Sage to refresh itself right so I'm messing around with SharpReader a little. I think I'd be happier if I could figure Sage out, though.

Garrett Valdivia said...

Bland blokes don't make funny jokes! So you don't qualify. Maybe we can touch up your blog soon... if you'd like.

Thanks for the comment!

Megan said...

Hello Garrett! I'm so proud of you =) The site looks awesome.

I just have one question... since you put me on linux, can I still try using that SharpReader thingy? Or do I have to use something special? Let me know...

Keep up the great work!

Love ya!

Garrett Valdivia said...

Linux users should use "Straw". I can help you install this later. It can likely be found in the normal Ubuntu repository using Synaptic.

Peter said...

Thanks for the tips on how to alter my blog. I have some work to do! I'll probably have some questions for you.

Yours turned out looking quite nice. I especially like the emboss effect you did on yourself.

Jonathan DeCollbus said...

Hey Garrett, you've done it again!! This looks really cool!! Also, for those of you who don't know the creativeness this guy has...let me tell you...you ain't seen nothin'.