Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Look to the stars! From inside your house!

I sort of rediscovered a program I have had on my desktop for months. It's called Stellarium.

When I first tried it out, I was not too impressed and rather bored by it. Now though, I seem to have discovered that it is chalk full of some really cool features that I somehow managed to miss on my last try.

So why not just go outside and look at the stars instead?

  • Control time - view the stars at any time of day or night and even watch them roll across the sky in an accelerated time view!
  • Place - check out the view from anywhere in the world and see how the stars line up. Or pull the ground out from beneath your feet and see the entire universe at once (what we know of it anyways)
  • Shooting stars - accelerate the rate of meteor showers to the fastest occurrences in known history!
  • Constellations - map them out right onto the sky.
  • Zoom - zoom right in and check out the greatest magnifications possible from earth.
  • Know - click any planet/star/galaxy and find out how far away it is and it's coordinates.
It was a lot more fun than I anticipated and, seeing as it is available for every computing platform, I encourage everyone to download and enjoy this great software. 100% free.

http://stellarium.org/

1 comment:

Peter said...

This is a timely post being as the annual Leonid Meteor Shower is expected to take place tomorrow night (Nov. 18). Although I would encourage people not to try and watch the shower from their desktop! Go outside, we could see over two shooting stars per minute with this one.