Friday, July 06, 2007

The Last Windows Installation?

So I'm an active tech user... I can't help it!

When my XP Pro installation gets too bogged down, I like to reformat it to try and reclaim the "new computer" performance.

  • Windows, like most other software, allows you to make unlimited installations.
  • Like some other software, it requires a Product Key / Serial Number.
  • Like precious few other software, it requires online activation.
  • Like NO other software, when it feels you've installed it enough times, it forces you to call in to activate.
I'm not the only person that feels that this is completely unreasonable. I would gladly call if it weren't for all the horror stories online. Apparently, MS Authentication Support individuals are trained to treat you like a criminal if you are have authentication issues (because, only pirates have those problems, right?).

I really don't think MS's overpriced software is really worth being on the phone with a foreigner trained to try and "bust" me (a long time paying user).



Be glad if you're not a geek. We are weird people.

No comments: