Saturday, November 17, 2007

Ghost Posts and Flock Rocks


Ghost Posts: My humblest apologies. Might as well call this the "Promise Blog" because I've been trying to get my music and new designs out forever! I really wanted to do it this week... believe me. But my schedule wouldn't allow it!

True love waits, right?

Flock Rocks: I've posted about Flock in the past, so I'm not going to go on about it today. But right now they are on "1.0" which means the browser is basically ready for prime time.

Flock fills a unique but needed role for me, because my Firefox is waaaaay tricked out with plugins and functions related to the web work that I do. It's also been pretty sluggish these days. But now, thanks to Fock, I can manage all my communication, for-fun browsing, and blogging a nicer environment while Firefox remains my primary work horse.

The main benefit of Flock is that it IS basically a tricked out Firefox, but without the add-on overhead. It's nice and fast. The notable things it supports out-of-the-box are:
  • Blogging - pretty much every blog service (blogger included, obviously). Much faster than logging into the control center... though video uploading has not been added to the tool yet :(.
  • Flickr & Photobucket - Managing photos and using them on the web (blogs, forums, emails, etc) is almost TOO easy in Flock. It's all drag n' drop.
  • Facebook - This was a pleasant surprise. I don't have to log into Facebook anymore to know what's going on. I can see friend updates, pokes, messages, and more right from Flock.
  • Twitter - If you're a big Twitterer like me, this is really nice. Alerts you too direct messages too.
  • de.licio.us - always nice to have your bookmarks.
  • Firefox add-on support - IF you really miss a Firefox add-on, you can just go grab it at mozilla.com like usual. Right now I'm happily using Flock with no extras... but I may need my trusty Greasmonkey before long.
I realize that many people aren't well acquainted with Twitter or Facebook yet, I'll blog about them next. Their significance is... well, SIGNIFICANT! But it can be hard to see the point initially when you first sign up for either service. Both services sub-consciously became a permanent part of my daily activities. Kinda like getting a cell phone... you can do without one until you have one :).

Anywho, we're headin' out on vacation starting Wednesday and won't be back until the 3rd. So, guess the music will just have to wait :'(.

Blogged with Flock

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

two things i wonder

1) how fast is flock, is it resource intensive?
2) does flock have the firefox linux issues (using language layers other then english disable the use of keyboard shortcuts)

the second thing pissed me off very much, but is still need a browser that is not window enviormant dependand like epiphany, firefox is lame (because of the layer issues and its damn heavy)
and opera is not open source.

BTW man arch linux is awsome, thanks for the comments in "adventures in open source" im the gentoo guy complaining about speed :P

Garrett Valdivia said...

Hey Leon, thanks for your comments.

I've also noticed that Firefox-linux has been a lame dog for a while now. Which I wasn't aware of the language layers bug you are mentioning, I can say that I've had no issues using Flock in linux for the past week. I've found it to be faster and less resource intensive. It's based of Firefox and Gecko, so it's very similar... but it seems more well-tuned to me.

For instance, with 6 tabs open, and after about 2 hours of work (gmail, reader, facebook, etc) Flock was consuming about 100mb of memory. Meanwhile, Firefox, for the same duration running standard websites and a similar number of tabs, was weighing in at about 168mb, if I remember correctly. I think it is mostly to do with the add-ons.

Flock is not a minimalist browser though (Epiphany is the best for that, imho) but it's the best all-purpose browser I know of. Opera comes close... just without Facebook, Twitter, and del.icio.us... and that's important to me. Plus, it's hard to make Opera look nice unless you're in KDE for some reason.

Without addons Firefox is not very useful... that's the biggest difference between FF and Flock :).

-Garrett

PS: Yes, Arch is rockin' :).

Anonymous said...

well you have one thing wrong there is kazehakase for a real minimalist.

and yes i forgot opera is qt based, a bit problematic when you want a gtk only system (trying to stick to one that im used to)

well ill check out flock when ill install arch on this comp. meanwhile its kazehakase on the pentium 3 :P

epiphany btw is too dependand on gnome, when you try to install it you also install half of gnome, not bad when you use gnome, very annoying when you dont.

P.S. why dont you write about arch?

Garrett Valdivia said...

I probably will review Arch at some point. This isn't a real technical blog though, it would be the first Distro review for me (I ran well over 20 this year before finding Arch). I just blog whatever seems relevant to my life on this blog.

It's been a bit techie lately, but I can't help it :).

I haven't ever tried kazehakase before. I just mention Epiphany because it has always seemed exceptionally quick on my system (Gnome based). But I always install Gnome and XFCE together so I guess it wouldn't be so great in the case you mentioned.

Soon (maybe even currently?) there will be a Epiphany+Webkit package in AUR, I believe. And I will be all over that if it happens. That would be quite cool.

I run Ubuntu on my laptop, just because it seems the easiest option for my Acer's funky Wireless hardware and video card. But I don't think I'd run anything on my desktop except Arch (and POSSIBLY Sidux... if I really need Debian).

-Garrett